Wheel Weight Adhesion
Aculon® treatment has been approved as a balance weight adhesion promoter for use on aluminum wheels similar to Alcoa wheels with Dura-Bright® surface treatment. Independent testing shows Aculon® Primer significantly enhances adhesion of wheel weight tape to Alcoa wheels with Dura-Bright® surface treatment in real-world conditions. Proper and prolonged wheel balancing helps to extend the life of the tires.
Proper Balancing Saves Money In The Long Run
Even though new tire manufacturing is more precise, there are still many advantages to balancing wheels:
- Promote longer wear life
- Safety as handling improves
- Reduce Vibrations
- Reduce wear on axel spindle including hub, brake drum, wheel
What is Dura-Bright?
Dura-Bright® is not a coating, but a surface treatment that penetrates the aluminum and becomes an integral part of the wheel. It will not chip, crack, peel or corrode, like conventional coatings do. Easier maintenance as very little sticks to it……including wheel weights.
What is new about Dura-Bright EVO?
Evo is the next generation Dura-Bright® treatment with even better surface protection. “Great Looks – Easy Maintenance”
- An enhanced hydrofluoric acid resistance: 2-3 times improvement
- A much higher chemical resistance: pH levels widened from 5-9 to 2-12
- Superior corrosion resistance: 10 times improvement in 240 hours CASS (Copper Accelerated Acetic Acid Salt Spray – tests )
- increased environmental sustainability: less hazardous material used during production
- Less weight for increased payload
- Unrivaled forged strength
- 5 year warranty
- Greater fuel efficiency
- Extended tire and brake life through improved heat dissipation
- Environmentally friendly
- Low maintenance as Dura-Bright treatments has great looks and easy maintenance
Independent Testing Report
- Samples tested using toughest conditions to simulate road conditions (heat / humidity). Results were impressive!
- Samples with no primer failed at interface of the wheel – i.e. both the weight and tape came off from the wheel!
- When the Aculon® primer was used, adhesion to the wheel surface was increased by up to 81%, causing the bond between the weight and the tape to be the weaker part of the system while the tape remained bonded to the wheel surface.
15 weights were provided (with tape attached) for testing. Wheel weights that were attached with Aculon® primer first had much higher peak loads.
Why Can’t I Just Use A Cleaner?
- Wheel / brake cleaners only make the problem worse. Cleaners only remove contamination. Surface energy is less than 35 dynes
- Some cleaners leave a “repellent/oily layer” making it even harder to adhere balance weights
- Whereas a Surface modification material designed to enhance the surface energy to > 65 dynes acts like a primer, it optimizes to stick.
- Aculon® wipes have been tested and approved as the ONLY method to maximize adhesion of the weights
Why Use Wipes?
- Wipes ensure that the cloth is clean – dirty cloths are a killer
- Applies right amount of material per wheel
- Easy to apply
- Bottles not appropriate as treatment dries quickly
- Sensitive to moisture, it will lose its effectiveness if bottle left open
- Wiping makes the treatment bond quicker
- Only version independently tested and approved by Alcoa
- Cost per wheel & cost per kilometer is less than a 0.5 % of the tire wheel combination